When we were in our teens and twenties, it was easy to think we were invincible. Nothing could touch us, and we were pretty much the center of our own universe. But, as we get older, it seems to get more obvious that life’s a little more fragile than we thought.
Getting a home loan, having credit and store cards, getting a personal loan or car loan. They are just everyday debts that come with everyday life as you become an adult.
And when you add kids into the mix, things get even more complicated! Buying clothes, shoes, toys, books, and games. Buying food. Birthdays. Christmases. Paying dental and medical bills. Paying for kindergarten, school, and college. Going on vacation. Buying a bigger house to accommodate an expanding family…
It all just keeps growing!
Thinking about it can really put your life and all its complications into perspective. It’s not just you that you need to worry about now, it’s your whole family. So what is the best way to protect your family and your family’s way of life?
While no one likes to dwell on unpleasant thoughts, it is important to remember unpleasant things do happen. You may get injured or too sick to work. You may become terminally ill. You may be involved in an accident. If you are not here, who will take care of the bills, the home loan, the school fees, and everything else?
One of the best ways to protect your family from the unknown is with life insurance. There are many different types of life insurance, and many products can be tailored to suit your own situation.
Life insurance can give a lump sum payout to your family should the worst happen to you. Funeral insurance can help your loved ones cover funeral expenses. Accidental injury insurance can help your family cope financially if you have an accident and are unable to work.
Tips for choosing the right life insurance for your family
- Think about all sources of money coming into the household, and all outgoings. This should help you get a good overview of your current financial situation, and what level of cover would be needed to protect it.
- If you’re unsure how much cover you need, speak to a financial adviser.
- Look at the extra features on offer with each plan, and see if they will help give you the protection you need.
- Read the small print thoroughly to make sure you are getting the cover that’s right for you.
- Review your life insurance products every few years to ensure they are up-to-date with your current lifestyle.
Life insurance is an important step towards protecting your way of life, and that of your family. The Suncorp Group (their website can be found here) can help to offer this kind of protection. It can give you peace of mind, and can offer financial support when it’s needed most.