Thinking about starting a website and want to know how to choose a Domain Name? Choosing a Domain Name can be a task, however it’s well worth the effort in the long run. A Domain Name is extremely important, think of it like a brand you will have forever. You wouldn’t just run and get a tattoo, without putting a lot of thought into it. Choosing a Domain Name should be just as important, granted it’s not marked on your body, but it does mark a business, website, or blog.
Things to consider when choosing a Domain Name?
- Keywords – Why do you want your own Domain Name? Domain purchases can enhance Search Engine Ranking. Where will your websites traffic come from? Will you rely on social networks, search engines, referral traffic, etc. If you plan on relying on search engine traffic make sure it relates to your keyword.
- Choose something easy to remember – Don’t pick something readers cannot remember. They need to be able to find your website and remember. You don’t want to have an amazing blog and nobody can remember where to find you. If you’re not relying on search engine traffic they may never find the website again.
- Make it easy to type – If readers cannot type it, they won’t remember it.
- Keep it short – Short Domain Names are easy to remember and type. Often shorter looks more appealing.
- Keep it simple – If your blog Domain Name is easy to remember, type, and spell the better chances you have maintaining loyal readers.
- Be unique – Different stands out, people remember different.
- Where will traffic come from – Will you rely on social networks, search engines, referral traffic, etc.
- Legal – Make sure you’re not choosing words that can cause problems later down the road. Stay away from trademarked names, if you’re 3 months into your blog the last thing you want to do is change your Domain Name or have legal problems.
- This Domain Name is a brand – It’s important to choose something you’ll keep long-term. It takes a lot of work to build traffic, rankings, readers, etc. Once you begin developing your rankings, changing it will be like starting from the beginning. Make sure you Domain Name is something you can live and grow with. Often when we start blogging, it’s easy to add subjects, it’s important you don’t outgrow your Domain Name. Be sure to leave room for growth.
Choosing a Domain Name can be a time-consuming task that takes a lot of thought, but remember it is brand. Something I suggest is think about the future, is there a possibility that you’ll add to more to your blog. Maybe you’ll start writing out about children and later incorporate marriage or shopping into your blog, it’s just something to think about. I honestly can say I wish I would have taken more time to really research how to choose a Domain name before just jumping in the way I did. Don’t get me wrong I love my blog name, however I do wish I would have researched more before making such a big decision.
Why didn’t I research? Honestly I had no idea how much work it takes to grow your blog. Now that my blog is growing, I definitely don’t want to change it and start all over again.
If you’re thinking about starting a blog or a website, do research remember this should be your Domain Name for the lifetime of the website. Visit different websites and read what other’s have to say on the subject, we have all had different experiences. One of the reasons I began my Blogging 101 Tutorial is not because I am a pro, but because maybe I can help someone start out better.
Make sure to take advantage of online tools to help you choose a Domain Name such as;
What are some tips you can share when choosing a Domain Name? Is there anything you wish you would have done differently? I would love to hear from you!