We love our children and would do anything for them. We want them to grow up and turn into everything we imagine try and point them in their right direction and make sure they have plenty of love, attention and everything else. However, traveling with children can be a bit overwhelming at times, expecially on those long road trips. However with a little preparation, traveling can be fun and even easy on your children.
So we just returned from our last family vacation of the summer. How I hate to say that, this last trip was a small one. We ventured about 5 hours away to see my parent. The vacation itself was a blast, the carried there, could have been worse thank goodness we prepaid with some awesome gadgets, gizmos and games. I want to share with you 10 things that you must take when traveling with children.
1) I would honestly have to say the most important thing to bring along when talking any size of trip with children is patients. You might not have to use them but if you do you’re going to be prepared, lol. Better to be safe than sorry!
2) Plan your childrens sleeping arrangements. This is expecially important in toddlers and younger children. Consider napes, and where they are going to sleep. Starting your trip in the middle of the night might be an option, this way your young child will sleep most of the way. Whether you’re traveling with kids to a hotel or a relatives house, make sure your young kids have a safe place to sleep at night. The older your children are the easier it is for most of them to handle traveling.
3) Take guard against sickness. The last thing you want is to hear your child say, “my tummy hurts.” Culturelle Kids Proboscis to help prevent any stomach problems and help support you children’s natural defense systems. Culturelle helps restore the natural balance of good bacterial in the digestive tract to help alleviate occasional digestive distress, and support you child’s own natural defenses. Let’s face it, when traveling we are exposed to many germs and bacteria. Help maintain your children healthy digestive track while traveling. You’re able to pick these up in an easy chewable tablet or a powder that is easy to add to juice, milk or a food such as yogurt.
4) While we’re on the subject of health, be sure you have all medications that your children will need. When you’re traveling you never know if you’re going to need the help of a fever reducer or allergy medication. It’s better to have it while you’re on the road, than to have to try and find a place to pick it up at.
5) Comfortable car seat. If you’re traveling with younger children, be sure they have a nice comfortable car seat to ride in. Traveling is hard and uncomfortable on us adults, much less a toddler in an uncomfortable car seat. Let’s face it there’s some pretty uncomfortable looking car seats, some that honestly look like they belong in the back of Fred Flintstones vehicle. It’s important for your children to be comfortable.
6) Pack extra necessities. Bring extra diapers, wipes, blankets, plastic bags, bottles, disinfectant, extra cloths, fun music, and tissues. It never fails, when something happens we are unprepared, but when I have everything I need packed and then some, there’s not energizes. In this case it’s definitely better to be stocked up and ready rather.
7) Plan for fun time. When traveling with anyone, yes even adults it’s important to have something to pass the time with. Plan for your children and bring toys, books, portable DVD Player, games, crayons, paper, and anything else you can round up to help your children keep busy.
8) Let your children pack a bag. It’s easy to pack for your toddler but let your older kids bring along what they feel they will need. Pay attention of course, you don’t wan them trying to sneak the kitty along for the ride. Letting them pick out and pack their own bag of toys and things to occupy them along the way. Whether it’s a blanket to comfort them, or a handheld electronic game.
9) Stock up with your favorite pre-bagged snacks for everyone to enjoy. Grab a cooler and add water, juice, etc. You’re not going to want to stop every time you hear someone say, “I’m hungry.” There’s all kinds of travel friendly snacks that are healthy too.
10) Don’t forget to bring you camera along to capture all the moments you want to remember forever, such as all the kids being good at the same time! I am still trying to get a photo of that!
While traveling alone can be exacting and stressful, children can often add to that. However if you prepare you can relaly decrease the amount of stress, even have a little fun yourself. Playing games with your children on a road trip is also an awesome way to bond, laugh and let loose a little. Good luck on your next family trip.